Romano Maddalena establishes The Marble Mosaic Company Limited
The Marble Mosaic Company was founded by Romano Maddalena in 1905, at which time it specialised in mosaics with marble cubes and in-situ terrazzo.
By the late 1920s, its activities had extended to include the off-site production of precast terrazzo and its “Imperator” range of cast stone using marble, granite and stone chippings to provide a wide choice of colours and textures. Notable examples of its work at that time include the reconstituted marble facing blocks, which were supplied as permanent formwork for the construction of The Dorchester Hotel in London’s Park Lane.
With the move to larger factory premises in 1960’s, the company was then able to focus on the production of larger precast concrete units, typically in the form of storey-height wall cladding panels. The exposed aggregate finished panels for the award-winning and now Grade 1 listed Clifton Cathedral in Bristol were produced during this period.
The company’s subsequent move to Weston-super-Mare in the early 1980’s and the establishment of a purpose-built and equipped factory has enabled it to progressively develop the product ranges and services it provides.
We currently employ a workforce and staff of 75 and continue to focus on the bespoke provision of high quality architectural precast concrete units in work packages typically ranging from £500,000 to more than £5M.